From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:44:12 +0100
John Dalmas:

>Did anyone mention composer Eduard Tubin? Eleven symphonies!  I assume he
>was Swedish.  Not?

Eduard Tubin (1905-1982) was Estonian.  In 1944, the very difficult
political situation brought him to seek refuge in Sweden, and he became
a Swedish citizen in 1961.  Four of his ten completed symphonies were
composed in Estonia.

Of the ten, I have a definite leaning for the second the "Legendary"
which fires poetical imagination, the stirring sixth with the amazing
final chaconne movement and the sumptuously vibrant, tragical eighth.

The masterly fifth, stylistically the link beween his Estonian and Swedish
compositions, is said to be at the root of Neeme Jarvi's musical vocation

The eleventh is only a fragment - just one ten-minute movement (Allegro
vivace con spirito) entirely written by Tubin but only partly orchestrated.
Neeme Jarvi called upon the Estonian composer Kaljo Raid to complete it.

But the symphonies form only a part of Tubin's rich and diversified
music...  Regards,

Christine Labroche