From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 14:14:24 -0700
D. Stephen Heersink ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>For years now, I've been reminded by the good people at American Record
>Guide of Barbirolli's excellent Sibelius' performances and EMI's
>unwillingness to re-release them.  Now the time has come.  They're here!
>No Sibelian will want to be without this 5 CD set.

I agree entirely, although if your earlier remarks imply a certain glossing
over of detail I'll have to disagree, as I think JB brtings out a weatlh of
detail (the harp and doubless basses in the last pages of the 1st for
instance) others miss.

For me JB's 1,2 and 4-7 rank with the finest there are; his 3rd is quite
slow and the only near-disappointment: it's a lovely performance but
doesn't displace others in my affections, whereas the others mainly do.
His 5th is incredible as is his 7th.

I made the mistake of listening to JB's set before (trying) Ashkenazy's
which I recently picked up used.  Although I enjoyed VA's 1st when it came
out, I found I could hardly get through a single complete work so bland did
it all sound.

Deryk Barker