From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:56:35 -0400
Achim Breiling writes:

>I myself would rather prefer a different concert programming, where
>only works by 20th century and contemporary composers are played ...

Were there a large enough market for such concerts, I cannot imagine
that some impresario would not already have addressed it.

It may be an unpleasant truth, but that doesn't change the fact that
orchestras survive as enterprises by playing to the tastes of their
patrons, and if they don't, they soon go out of business.

By extension, if LSO (LPO?) audiences really (rather than are just claiming
to) want more diverse programming, attendance and contributions will
decline if they don't provide it.

len.