From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:12:58 -0400
Walter Meyer wrote:

>...  I know that there's at least one arrangement of the work for
>string quarter by Roy Harris.  Are there others?  Do the players in
>those arrangements need to switch instruments as described in the novel
>I just finished?

The Juilliard recording employs a specially constructed large viola which
is used throughout.  In fact the notes accompanying the recording state
that this new viola sounds great in the entire repertory.  The Keller
Quartet uses the regular viola throughout.  While on the subject, I
strongly recommend the performance on viols by Fretwork.

Bernard Chasan