From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 22:28:55 -0400
Matt Tracy wrote:

>During my fourth year undergrad (spring 1998), I took a music history
>course that (of course) covered the topic of nationalism and, as one
>example, Mussorgsky's "Pictures".  I was curious to see them, and sure
>enough there is a webpage with most of the pictures.  The quality isn't
>high, but I found it through a Yahoo search for "hartmann exhibition".
>The URL is: http://bsc.edu/~jhcook/mu123/pix-exh2.htm

I want to thank Matt for the lead.  I was curious to see the "Samuel
Goldenberg and Schmuyle" picture because, a few years ago, on one of the
classical music lists to which I was subscribed, there was an argument that
Moussorgsky was prejudiced against Jews, those arguing that he was noting
that the caption to that picture had Samuel Goldenberg but not Schmuyle in
quotation marks, thereby implying that, while he might try to pass himself
off as the successful "Samuel Goldenberg" he would always remain a pathetic
Schmuyle.  Until now, I've never seen copies of any of the pictures or
their captions.  And the Website didn't show captions either.  A person
whose statements I believed and respected insisted that, in the caption,
SG was not set off in quotation marks from Schmuyle.

Walter Meyer