From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 20:55:06 GMT
John Smyth writes:

>After the HIP delights of Kirshbaum, Podger, Manze & Co, I eagerly
>opened my Virgin recording of Holloway and Moroney performing the Bach
>Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord.
>
>Love the chamber organ.  Love Holloway's phrasing.  But oh, how he
>wrestles with that old violin.  Not only that, but there are some serious
>intonation problems, most notably in the open sixth chords of the B minor
>Adagio....  I exchanged it for Grumiaux's modern instrument version on a
>Phillips 2-fer.

This didn't work out well at all.  John had asked for recommendations,
and I praised the Holloway set.  My hope was that John would love the
performances, but he exchanged it instead for a modern instrument version.

I am sorry about this.  We enthuse about particular recordings and
generally want to see others loving them as well.  I sure hope John does
not acquire the Winter & Winter set which is far more extreme than the
Holloway recordings.  I guess I'm at the other end from John.  I've heard
some of the Grumiaux set, and I can not handle that modern violin at all.

Don Satz