From:
David Bresch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:55:49 -0500
Time out from the tenor wars to discuss a subject dear to my heart,
collecting compact discs.  I know that there is a sort of condescension
towards compact discs, that collecting them is not really to have a hobby,
that LP's and 78's are the only things one can dignify with the appellation
"collection." Yet, most of us listen to music on compact discs exclusively.
Furthermore, getting the ones we want can be quite a challenge, and discs
come into and go out of print as fast as any medium I know of, for
reasons discussed in the last issue of my favorite magazine
Classical Record Collector (formerly ICRC, and whose web site is
http://www.thestrad.com/icrc_main.htm).  Apparently, the discs are
sold at prices that make very small runs, profitable.

Part of the issue is my age (almost 35).  Older music lovers have their
collections of records and tapes still.  I never collected anything else.
I think my first compact disc might have been the Otello set with Del
Monaco.  In any event, I want to discuss some points about collecting
compact discs to stimulate discussion on this subject, and also because I
know I cannot be the only one who feels so isolated by my love for those
discs.  I could read new issue reviews forever!  I wish that is all there
were in my magazines (Classical Record Collector and Record Collector,
http://www.go.to/therecordcollector).  I am happiest reading these reviews,
thinking about what I will buy, how I will improve my collection, etc.

In this post I will discuss the issue we never address, that of money and
how to economize.  I have no money.  I am not ashamed to say that I am
penniless, in fact, I am deeply in debt.  Every dollar counts.  To buy an
18 dollar disc with the possibility that I might not want to listen to it
twice, is not possible.  And I am not famous.  No one is sending ME review
copies, though I think I would be in Heaven if they did!  SO what to do?
One has to buy only the top brands, because some brands of recording are
liars.  All they do is lie, dissimulate, intentionally obscure the contents
of their discs to snag customers who cannot return the discs to stores that
tighten and loosen and then tighten their return policies.  All my remarks
apply to historical material, since there aren't so many problems with
modern recordings.  Plus, I don't listen to modern recordings (after 1970)!

SO, I will tell you the brand whom you can ALWAYS trust.  Their
documentation will be perfect.  The sound on their records will be as good
as is humanly possible.  Their products are worth every penny.  They are
only three:  Marston, Romophone, and APR (or Apian).

There is a second tier that consists of Naxos Historical, Preiser,
Supraphon, Tahra, Music & Arts, Arbiter and Dutton.  Testament specializes
in EMI material, while Beulah re-issues Decca recordings.  They are both
fine.  EMI Reference series has been often criticized.  I have not compared
transfers head-to-head but I like this series' package and documentation.
DG issues its own material at full price and of course many of its
recordings are famous and well-thought of.  The same goes for Phillips.

Pearl, oh Pearl, the mega-giant of these historical brands.  I once sent
a complaint about their Meta Seinemeyer issue, how some of the tracks were
unlistenable, and their producer took the trouble to send me a really nasty
letter back!  Honestly, I think Pearl has improved a lot over the last ten
years.  Their products are routinely lauded now for excellence and I think
they are much more reliable.  But large purchases like De Lucia, in which
maybe 75% of the tracks are unlistenable, Zenatello (the same problem), and
the Singers of Imperial Russia set, in which so much is unlistenable, each
of which is a 3 or 4 disc set that cost over 60 dollars, still pain me.
Really the same reservations apply to Symposium.  as apply to Pearl.

All the brands I mentioned are making original transfers.  No one has
accused them of pirating anyone's work.  I cannot think of other ones
I would recommend.  Malibran is an example of the disparity between a
beautiful package and the contents, but their presentation is beautiful
(except the documentation is poor, with those stilted translations we only
find in compact disc packages).  I have to plug their 2 disc set devoted to
Thill called "Centenial:" it is not plagues by the problems of their other
issues, and it is spectacular!

Okay, I think I have written enough for one installment!

David
Philadelphi