From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:55:38 -0700
Dave Lampson writes concerning the Goldberg Variations:

>Most sources agree that a commission as impetus for this work is spurious.
>Further, most agree that the copy of the manuscript was given to Goldberg
>so that he could play them on nights when Count Keyserlingk could not get
>to sleep.  In other words, they weren't meant to put him to sleep, but
>rather to aid in passing the time while he was suffering from insomnia.
>By all accounts, Keyserlingk was pleased with the gift.

Reading this passage seems to reinforce the "sleep aid" label historically
associated with the work.  [Then, Wes, I suggest there might be a
significant problem with reading comprehension at work here.  -Dave] I
think that aiding in the passage of time while someone is suffering from
insomnia is very close to the same as putting someone out.  The worst part
of insomnia, in my opinion (I have suffered from it frequently during the
last 4 years or so) is the agonizing time it seems to take to escape the
restlessness of the mind.  Many times, while lying in bed you just focus on
little sounds your ears pick up.  Squeaks and scratches or dogs barking can
be unbearable.  Pop the headphones on and turn up the volume on some Weiss
or Danyel and have only pleasant thoughts for the rest of the evening until
you slip away.  I listen to music almost every night before falling asleep.
I don't believe the music puts me to sleep because I still stay up late
frequently.  However, time goes by seemingly unnoticeably and I do feel as
though I am falling asleep faster.  I certainly have been sleeping better
and waking up feeling much much better.

saying that any activity, aside from the unmentionable or illegal, which
helps an insomniac get to sleep is a good idea in my opinion.  I also don't
feel it matters what a person does while listening to music.  Sometimes,
when preparing a large meal, I will crank up the stereo with some of my
favorite music because it makes the time much more enjoyable and bearable
and it seems to just fly by.  Is there an echo in here?

On a side note:  I would like to wish Les Winters well.  Les is one
of the people, if not THE person, behind The Classical Midi Connection
www.midiworld.com/cmc I have recently learned that he is ill and I wanted
to "publicly" express my thanks to him for his contributions in the way of
presenting music by young or little known composers (like me) in a format
easily accessible by anyone with computer and sound card.

Wes Crone