From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:18:58 +0100
Gerardo wrote:

>well,well,again,i love most Chopin music maybe the 99%(with the exception
>of his "cursi" songs on a poland themes,and the Alla Krakowiak Rondo).But
>please you can't made any analogy bettween Chopin Ballades and Polonaises,
>and those of Liszt.  For me it is like to make an analogy bettween Brahms
>,and Dvorak Symphonies.  Like the day and the night.

Maybe not Brmah and Dvorak, but Brahms and Schumann.  Anyhow, I think
Chopin and Liszt do have some features in common.  Liszt's first Polonaise
(in c-minor) can be seen as a hommage to Chopin's in F#-minor.  Likewise,
number two in E major does remind of the famous Ab-major polonaise.

>And about that "Dante Sonata" for me, even if it is played by God will
>remain always as the kind of third level music.And about the musical
>difficulty of this work,is like most Liszt piano music: Is EASY.I cannot
>see any difficulty (since the musical point of view)in playing works like
>that.Even the B minor Sonata which is my favorite Liszt work is not Really
>difficult under the musical point of view.Of course technically is a lot of
>things to do in it.

If Liszt's music is easy from a muscial point of view, I can't see why it's
so difficult to find really good recordings. Technically it's demanding
music, but it's seldom incredibly difficult. It's just that level of
difficulty is consistent and high.

Mikael