From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:41:45 -0600
Jane Erb on David Cozy's distinction between "seeing" and "hearing" a
concert:

>This is a constant (unserious) disagreement at our house.  He says heard,
>while I contend that I can hear a piece over the radio or CD player.  If
>I was there, I say I saw the XYZ Philharmonic.  As my hearing is pretty
>good, I contend that if I saw it I also heard it, as I don't talk my way
>through a concert.

Actually, I go to a concert to both see and hear.  As Yogi Berra said,
"You can observe a lot by watching." I've found out some very interesting
things about music and musicians that probably wouldn't have occurred
to me through listening, even with a score.  For example, as much as I
love and admire Leonard Bernstein's music, I've discovered that the
musical interest in his work tends to lie in the upper parts.  His bass
parts are usually far easier -- often pedal points.  In short, not every
player has something interesting to do.  I've also discovered this really
fabulous babe amongst the violas.

Steve Schwartz