From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:04:25 -0700
Steve Schwartz suggested:

>People might be pleasantly surprised to hear Brahms's Triumphlied,
>Bruckner's Helgoland, Beethoven's Elegaischer Gesang, Mozart's Davide
>penitente, let alone something by Bruch, other than the Scottish Fantasy
>or the g-minor concerto.

Readers in the Washington DC area will have the chance to hear Bruch's
First Symphony at a concert I'm conducting Saturday evening 5 April,
8;30 PM, with the JCC Symphony Orchestra, in Rockville MD.

Details at our website:

  www.jccso.org

I am unable to trace any major orchestra performances of this work up
through 1970.  Perhaps since it has been in public domain for many years
and the material available through the usual reprint and library sources
it has been played more recently.

In any case, it is a splendidly crafted, euphonious work, with the
expected influences [Mendelssohn, Schumann], and a personal voice as
well.  The brooding third movement [bristling with flats, in E-flat
minor, like the opening of the 'Scottish Fantasy'] is quite touching.

Come hear us!

The rest of the program:

Weber: Overture to Oberon
Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 1, with the wonderful pianist Adam Neiman.

Best wishes--

jl