From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 06:25:12 -0300
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>:

>I suspect the "symphonic" opera easier to write, in the sense that a lot
>of it can be faked.

One can fake a lot of a "numbers" opera too.

>A really great melody can't be faked.

No, surely, but great melodies are not an exclusive property of "numbers"
opera.

>Wagner, of course, has all sorts of great melodies, or melodic set-pieces,
>so he's an exception.But think of all the routine and justly-forgotten
>operas that follow the Wagnerian model: Zandonai's Francesca da Rimini, ...

That's seems true (at least concerning Zandonai's work, which is the only
of these that I know).  However, I hope wou won't be tempted to look for
the good side of (say) Piccinni's operas to enhance your assertion!  ;-)

Pablo Massa