From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 19:46:24 -0700
Bob Stumpf wrote:

>I am working on a concert register of Stokowski, ranging from Cincinnati
>to the final live concert.  This is tedious work, but I think it will
>help people.  During his second season in Cincinnati he conducted works
>by composers who are greek to me.  If anyone can help me ID them it will
>help me with the register.

I don't think any of these composers are actually Greek, but I'll give it
a stab.:-)

>Sgambati

Probably Giovanni Sgambati (1841-1914), a fairly well-known Italian
composer associated with Wagner and Liszt.  AS&V has been releasing quite
a bit of his music on CD. The piano quintets are particularly fine, as is
the piano concerto.  Check:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=classicalnet&keyword=sgambati&mode=blended

>Sinigaglia

This one is new to me, and there are a couple to choose from.  My bet is
Leone Sinigaglia (1868-1944), a pupil of Dvorak who was born and died in
Turin.  Novello publishes a few of his orchestral works: two "Danze
Piemontesi" Op. 31, and Two Characteristic Pieces Op. 35.  Check:

   http://www.chesternovello.com/composer/1488/main.html

I can only find references to chamber music on CD:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=classicalnet&keyword=sinigaglia&mode=blended

>Bohlmann

I can find mention of a clarinet piece by a Ernst Bohlmann, but no dates or
anything else.  Is it possibly Leon Boellmann (1986-1897)? Perhaps the name
of the piece would give an additional clue.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/