From:
Philip Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:52:34 -0500
Elliot, the Miserere Mei consists of the text of Psalm 50, *Have mercy
on me, O God, according to thy great mercy...  et seq.* This is in the
Catholic Bible, which combines two earlier Psalms together into one, and
thus the numbering of Psalms is one earlier than in the KJV, where the text
of the Miserere Mei is Psalm 51.

Since we happen to be on the subject of true repentance, so moving and
affective in Psalm 50/51, I recommend the song [remember when the Song
Form really meant something and elicited interest and a desire to listen
carefully to the union of works and music?] *Repentir* (Repentance) for
voice and orchestra by Charles Gounod.  EMI Classics: "Sacred Songs," \
with Roberto Alagna, tenor, and the City of Toulouse Choir & Orchestra
conducted by Michel Plasson (EMI 7243 5 56206 2 0).

The other 13 numbers on this CD, including a fine *Panis Angelicus,*
are, I think, a fine piece of work.  The CD admittedly has a Roman
Catholic ambiance, and those with an early background in the Church, or
who are drawn to the faith because if its emphasis on moral and emotional
intelligence, will find this album not lacking in the old time religion.
Cordially,