From:
Philip Jongeneel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:28:18 +0100
"Walter Meyer" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> But the painting has already been sold subject to an export licence and
>> the money being raised to keep it in the UK.
>
>Do we know to whom?

Yes, we do know, it has been sold to the Getty Museum in Los Angeles for
afaik 35 million.  I do not recall if that is US Dollars or UK Pounds;
its still a lot of moolah.  To keep it in the UK would require a matching
bid, that is to say the 35 million paid by Getty less the taxes due,
resulting in a figure in the neighbourhood of 23 million.

If it is sold, should not the money received better be used to support
Art in generalwhich should include Music projects (...me being slightly
prejudiced towards CM).

Philip Jongeneel