From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:37:59 -0800
Don on my exchanging Holloway for Grumiaux:

>This didn't work out well at all.  John had asked for recommendations,
>and I praised the Holloway set.  My hope was that John would love the
>performances, but he exchanged it instead for a modern instrument version.

I'm sorry Don; I can see what you liked in the Holloway--I liked his
phrasing, tempi, and tender loving care applied so generously to Bach's
exquisite slow mov'ts.  I even feel that Grumiaux misses subtleties that
Holloway caught.  I plan to continue exploring HIP versions of the Sonatas,
hoping to find a performance equaling Holloway's musicianship, but with a
violin sound that yields just a slightly sweeter tone.

I include your input as part of my general preparation for buying CDs, and
appreciate your time spent very much.

John Smyth