From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:05:02 -0800
I finally found London's good 'ole Phase 4 Scheherazade, remastered by
Cala, in a Tower Records.

My first acquaintance with Scheherazade was with this very performance.
I picked it up in my small-town's grocery store, (remember when grocery
stores sold the major labels?), sometime in '79.  When the digital age
commenced I went through Rimsky after Rimsky looking for a performance
that sounded as full as the Stokowski.  Who would have thought it sounded
so full because Stokowski fleshed out the orchestration!

The performance is just as exciting as I remembered it to be.  May I
blaspheme though?  The Phase 4 recording: The soloists step out of their
chairs, walk into the audience and sit in your lap to play.  Some of the
harp glisses actually startled me, spot-lit as they are.

In any case, Tower got my money again, providing a lovingly-remastered
legendary performance at mid-price.

John Smyth
Sacramento, CA