From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 17:25:31 -0700
Ian wrote:

>How can you compare the temporal aspects of listening to music and looking
>at a painting?

That was the idea of the thought experiment - to be able to say this
composition sounds like that painting looks.  To me impressionist art
(Monet) looks like Debussy music sounds and the art of the romantic period
Delacroix (sp?) looks like Wagner's music, etc.

When one listens to music one should come away with the impression of 1
thing in mind.  When we leave a movie we have one thing in mind, not 120
minutes worth of dialog and scenes.  This one thing is kinda like the one
thing we see when we view a painting.  It has been said that architecture
is frozen music.  Does this mean that music if fluid architecture?

Bill Pirkle