From:
Sami Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:12:19 -0400
Last night we attended a BSO concert that had 2 young soloists on the
program.  Demarre McGill, 22, played the Mozart Flute Concerto No.2.
There was much to like in the music and Demarre's performance was flawless.
However bright the music, he seemed to lack some of the nuances of the
piece.  He's performed with a number of symphonies and is at Julliard now.
I would like to hear him again in a chamber group.

The other soloist was Lang Lang, 16, from China.  He played Liszt's Piano
Concerto No.1 with as much polish as Kissin who I saw last year.  He had
the power and the dexterity for the work and was outstanding.  He is at
the Curtis Institute now, working with Gary Graffman, but is someone we
are going to see a lot of, IMHO.

Sami