From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 08:33:44 -0500
Arturo Llamas wrote:

>Hi Dear List members: I would like to know just a little more about
>Mussorgsky's "Pictures" I mean how many orchestrations are? Just two?
>I mean Ravel & Gortschakov only? By the way, who was Gortschakov? Any
>good on-line source? Any excelent recording? Thanks in advance.

There are orchestra versions by:

Ravel; Tushmalov; Stokowski; Funtek; Ashkenazy; Gorchakov; Wood; Cailliet;
and Reibold.  At least one for Piano and Orchestra by Leonard; sax and
orchestra by Colombier as well as Chinese orchestra; domra and piano; organ
solo...several actually (Chapman, Hampton, Wills, Guillou, Asselin, Blarr,
Thompson, Ellsasser), guitar solo, tuba and piano, etc.

Dr. Dave Canfield of Ars Antiqua has investigated this in detail and has
an excellent discography on the subject.

Karl