From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:07:21 PST
Although I don't want to delve into the matter of what constitutes a
real sound, I do have some comments about recorded sound vs.  live sound.
When recorded sound was first introducted, it could not compare with live
sound.  But, with time, recorded sound has continued to improve and isn't
far behind live sound.  Also very significant, at least to me, is that the
listener in his/her home can greatly alter the "recorded" sound provided
by the record company.  You want more pungent violin sound than the disc
offers, a fuller sound from the trumpet, a less depressing sound from the
orchestra, a richer sound from the piano, etc; you can greatly alter these
sounds through the use of equipment to the point where you might feel the
sound is absolutely "perfect".

I'm not one of those persons who suggest that recorded sound is better or
as good as live sound, but the differentials are routinely getting smaller.
So, there have to be other reasons than "pure sound" to entice audiences
to live performances.  And, list members who do appreciate live music have
provided a host of other reasons as to why they like live performances.
Because of those reasons, I don't think that live performances will become
extinct at any foreseable time in the future, no matter how advanced
recorded sound becomes.  But, folks in their homes have it better than
ever before, and the upward trend continues unabated.

Don Satz