From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:13:08 -0800
Mitch Friedfeld ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>In the November issue of the BBC Music Magazine, Adam Sweeting interviews
>Pete Waterman, who is billed as "one of the most successful and prolific
>writers and producers in British pop over the last 20 years."  Waterman
>maintains that WSoP is derived from Air on the G String, for what that's
>worth.  I'm chagrined to admit that I am not familiar with this famous
>Bach piece, at least to the best of my knowledge.

This has come up previously, either here or in r.m.c (or both).

Nobody I know has ever identified, to my satisfaction, a genuine Bach
source - and PW's talking through his hat, it's not the Air from the
Third Orchestral Suite, (known as Air on a G String because of an
arrangement made in the 19th century by the famous violinist August
Wilhelmj), which you may well know.

>And I do mean "for what that's worth," as Waterman claims that the Beatles'
>Because is a crib from Moonlight Sonata.  I don't see that at all.

Perhaps he's deaf?

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)