From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:26:22 PST
Jos Janssen wrote in response to me:

>>Having decided to delve into the music of Lutoslawski, I started
>>with a Naxos disc containing his first symphony and other works.
>
>Excellent choice, if perhaps not somewhat dictated by chance?

Be it chance, destiny, or resolve, I walked into a store which I knew
to have a fairly extensive inventory of Naxos CD's.  I was hell-bent on
getting a Lutoslawski recording and found that all the Lutoslawski volumes
on Naxos were in front of me.  I saw covers identifying the included works
and recognized most of them from reviews I had read; being contrary, I
picked the one release where I did not recognize any the works (it beckoned
me).

I thank Jos for his detailed description of each movement of the symphony
and the other works on the disc.  The cd is still in my "play immediately"
stack which has about 20 items, and I'll go back to it soon with the
Janssen analysis in my brain.  I'll also get the other volumes in the
Naxos series.

I also thank Jon Lewis for his input.  It should be fun to listen to the
different Lutoslawski works from various time periods to get a sense of the
evolution of his music-making.

Don Satz