From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 06:19:18 -0700
"Alan J. Briker" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>Solti is not one of my favorite conductors but ironically the one
>>recording by him that I think is major home run is.....Schubert's 8th
>>with the VPO.  Recently reissued by Decca.  However, there are a few
>>recordings by Solti that are on my ever growing wish list.
>
>Do you perhaps mean Schubert 9th "the Great? I think
>its one of Solti's best.

Yes Alan you are correct and I was incorrect it was the 9th Symphony.  FWIW
it is Solti's Beethoven #9 (part of Polygrams "Penguin" series) that is the
one Solti recording on my wish list.  Anybody familiar with it? I already
have recordings with HVK ('63 - DG), Furtwaengler (EMI - Bayreuth) and
Szell.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)