From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:53:08 -0400
Julia Werthimer wrote:

>Leaving aside the fact that Bocelli does not have the technique to sing
>opera ...

I think that is the most important argument against his trying to have
an opera career.  Certainly many notable opera singers had very limited
repetoires, and one can't expect one singer to do all the roles out there,
but I think Bocelli really isn't equipped to do enough tenor roles to make
it worth his while.  (Although there are always possibilities for future
development, I guess.) But his voice and style do seem ideal for the kind
of semi-classical/semi-pop things he has been doing, and he is obviously
giving pleasure to a huge mass of fans, so I say, more power to him (just
stay off the heavy stuff)!

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]