From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:21:33 -0800
I've been eyeing this Lp, on Philips with the Concertgebouw, but I can't
find mention of it anywhere as far as performance goes.  Anyone familiar
with it?

I found an EMI Odeon pressing of Boult's 3rd recording of VW's "Job"
but found the performance to be kind of boring, much like Handley's.
Are my Yankee ears just not gettin' it?  My favorite by far is Barry
Wordsworth's on Collins with the Philharmonia, even though Elihu's dance
is embarrassingly erotic.  This is a CD recording that rivals SACD as
well.

Nagano's Mahler 8th is coming from Harmonia Mundi on SACD--this is one
of the reasons I decided to add equipment to enjoy the surround layer
of the disc as well as the two-channel.  Anyone hear the performance?

John Smyth
Sac, CA