From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:31:24 PDT
Felix Delbrueck wrote concerning the Bach Cello Suites:

>Is Dieltens really all that jagged and scratchy, and if so, is that
>really a virtue, or just bad playing?  How do Bylsma and Dieltens compare,
>and is there another HIP recording that is even better?

The "scratchy" theme concerning barqoue string instrument is fairly common.
Personally, I have no problem with it, because I never notice it.  I'm
immune.  I have the Dieltens (on Accent), and I don't find it jagged at
all.  The sound for Dieltens is on the dry side and more recessed than for
Bylsma.  Also, Bylsma is more expressive.

What it comes down to for me is that the Bylsma is a more "public"
performance than Dielten's.  But, I love to listen to Dieltens late at
night when I'm feeling comfortable and it washes over me.  I wouldn't part
with either one.

I don't know of any other HIP recordings better than the above two, but
Jaap ter Linden on Harmonia Mundi and Peter Wispelwey on Channel Classics
are at a similarly high level.  For a person who might have a problem with
period instruments, the Bylsma would likely be the easiest to digest.  It's
ribeye steak for dinner.

"Donald Satz" <[log in to unmask]>