From:
Andreas von Doebeln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:13:01 +0200
Alan Lynn [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>Robert Clements:
>
>>wasn't the term _barbarian_ originally derived from the alleged sound of
>>a foreign language?
>
>I believe "barbarian" actually came from the early 19th century conflict
>between the U.S. and the Barbary pirates of the north African coast.  But I
>could be wrong.  Just a guess...

Nope.  I have read the ancient Greeks thought all foregin languages sounded
like "bar-bar", hence the label barbar for foreginers.

An other theory wold be that hence the word for beard is barbarus, the
Greeks could have labelled foregin men barbarians after their beard.  Beard
was standard amond men everywhere before Alexander the Great, but he walked
around without beard (Alexander thought in a fight the enemy could grab it,
so he didn't wanted it), so after Alexander it became popular among the
Greeks to be beardless, and the Romans were Hellens as well...

To bring back this subject to Classical Music; Has there been any
recordings of ancient Greek music in modern time (I presume all ancient
recordings are long lost)?

Andreas von Doebeln