From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 09:58:13 -0700
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It has enough themes to make another symphony. The argument gets
>cloudy. It's like finding yourself in a cluttered attic. Furthermore,
>not all the sections reach the same high level, and, as I say, the
>intent gets blunted.

I would like to second Steve's appraisal of the music, however,
the clutter has not limited my appreciation for the music.  I first
encountered the piece when a friend of mine had interviewed Arnell.
During the visit, Arnell shared what he called his 3rd Symphony, in one
movement.  It was actually the final movement of the work, in a performance
conducted by Norman del Mar.  The reviews I read of the first performance
had suggested much of what Steve has observed, but also pointed to the
last movement as being the best.  Perhaps Arnell may have toyed with the
notion of retaining only that last movement, but I am happy to say that
the work appears to be complete in this recording.  I also managed to
get a tape of the entire del Mar performance.

Perhaps Martin Anderson should add, but I will do it for him, that his
label Toccata has recorded, as far as I know, all of the Arnell Symphonies.
Hopefully Martin will elaborate on the status of those recordings.

I have several airchecks of Arnell's music including performances of
his Violin Concerto (National Orchestral Association), Piano Concerto,
conducted by Bernard Herrmann, and most of the Symphonies.  For me, the
release of any of Arnell's music is a source of great enjoyment.  He
might not be of the level of a Vaughan Williams or Walton, but I am more
than happy to make room for him in my collection...and eagerly await
other releases of his music.

Karl