From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:44:24 -0600
Donald Satz:

>My belief is that the majority of potentially great classical composers
>in the latter half of the 20th century stayed clear of classical music.
>They went where the money and fame reside.

This an interesting and significant hypothesis.  Some social scientist
should do a survey of successful non-classical composers.  I am reminded
of a discussion of the heredity/environment question in a college biology
class many years ago, in the course of which the professor suggested that
if Beethoven had been born when he was but in central Africa, "he would
have been the best drummer in the tribe."

Jim Tobin