From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:13:53 +0000

John Dalmas said:

>Give me a break, Don!  How many is "more"? Davis recorded four of the six
>Paris Symphonies, plus Nos.  88, 91 and 92, and all twelve of the London
>Symphonies.

There are at least 104 symphonies.  Three other artists have managed to
record them all.  Two more projects are in progress!!  That's how many
is more.

Look at Gardiner's output he's reeling off recordings.

Davis has made some amazing recordings (Listen to his Berlioz) but he's
a bit of an establishment 'stuffed shirt' in my view.

I saw him perform the "Surprise" symphony at the Royal Festival Hall,
London.  The audience roared for an oncore.  He refused!!

It's hard to judge why Davis stopped recording Haydn.  We can't accuse
him of only recording profitable works because of his Berlioz stuff.  My
feeling is that guy's like him have been brought up with a traditional view
of what the reportoire is and they stick to it.

Luckily we now have amazing, lesser known artists on labels like Naxos who
are prepared to prod into dusty corners.

Bob Draper