From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 00:22:37 -0300
Joseph Everett <[log in to unmask]>

>I must know: Is "Vexations" played, or supposed to be played, 840 times
>in succession (this comes from Satie's notes to the performer)? Rather
>interesting, I think.  Must investigate further.

Once I attended to a concert here in Buenos Aires, in which three or
four pianists alternated during a large amount of time at the playing of
"Vexations".  I don't remember if they wanted to play just the original
840 times or if they were going for more, trying to establish a Guinness
record.  I felt myself stupid for being there and, of course, I felt them
more stupid than me.  I felt that the occasion wasn't humorous at all (just
as this indication of Satie was).  It's like when you tell a joke to a
person and he takes you seriously.  That's sad.

At Satie's scores can read a lot of indications to the performer.  What if
one should try to follow all of them strictly?.  I would like to see that.

Pablo Massa