From:
Bob Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 02:56:37 EDT

>So...anybody go see Kubrick's last film yet?

Did.  Disliked it.  Makes "Barry Lyndon" look like "The Bicycle Thief."

 [I understand a Shostakovich waltz is used, but I haven't been
>able to find out which one, or even if this is true.  -Dave]

Waltz from Jazz Suite 2 (I am pretty sure), with Riccardo Chailly
conducting the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (as much as I disliked
the film, I liked the music, and stuck through the credits).

>The first is the strange ritual music of electronic organ (or something!)
>that acts as a theme, and adds chanted voices during the long middle scene.
>Eerie, strange, dark, confusing.  Supposed to be, though.  Adds well to the
>atmosphere.

Not sure. Maybe original?

>The second, and most interesting development, is the 2-note theme that
>permeates the movie.  It's just a little 2-note piano theme, it gets a
>little more complicated a few times, but mostly lays there, bare, echoing.

Gorecki, I think.

Regards,
Bob Chen
Los Angeles, CA