From:
John Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 21:27:10 +0000
May I introduce myself as a first time subscriber.  My name is John Foss
and I live in Greece, the home of music in education.  A few miles from my
house lie the ruins of the Ancient City of Dion, where Alexander the Great
trained his troops before setting out to conquer the world.  This conquest
- though ruthless - was enlightened.  His initial aim was to avenge the
invasion of the Persians, but he took with him on his quest scholars,
artists, architects and musicians.  The world's first pipe organ - The
Hydraulus - was found in the remains of the city (I have been asked to
give the opening recital on the replica they are building in a workshop in
Dion when it is finished!) and the basis of Greek Education at that time -
around 2,500 years ago - was music, gymnastics and language.  I believe
that this should still be at the heart of our educational system, and
support the views put forward by members of this list to that effect.

If you have a moment may I recommend two sites: The English Times
of Katerini - a "newspaper" written by my students - Greek children
between the ages of 8 and 16 at http://pieria.forthnet.gr/etimes/ and
the highly comprehensive website promoted by the local County Authority
http://www.pieria-tourism.gr/en/ for which I must accept responsibility
for the English Translation - though it is available in Greek and German
as well.  We have an active musical life here with many choirs, concerts,
etc.  and our town is unusual in Greece in having a two manual tracker
action pipe organ (30 stops) by Klais in the Evangelical church.

John Foss   GRSM   ARCM   Dip Ed (London)