From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:28:58 PDT
Felix mentioned his preference for Arrau/Haitink, and I also think it's
excellent.  Other outstanding versions are Curzon/Szell on decca,
Gilels/Jochum on DG, and Schiff/Solti on Decca.  I think that some list
members in the past have gone for Moravec/Mata on Dorian which is coupled
with the Schumann piano concerto, but I don't care for Mata's direction
(particularly in the Schumann).

I have a special fondness for Margalit/Thomson on Chandos.  Many consider it
under-powered, but I find it very poetic with soloist and conductor in
excellent unison.  It can now be found on a 2-cd Chandos Enchant issue also
having Mendelssohn's Capriccio Brillante, the Saint-Saens piano concerto no.
2, and the Schumann concerto.

For public consumption, my best recommendation would be Giles/Jochum.

Don Satz