From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:58:39 PDT
Alan Dudley wrote:

>"Purple Haze" is not for me.

I love that song!  Every time I hear it, I'm taken back to the days of
college/drugs/Vietnam, and it's a great feeling.

The song possesses so much power with most of it below the surface - that
makes it more anticipatory and subtle.  Hendrix wrote outstanding melodies
for the song; yes, there are very few of them, but this isn't a symphony,
it's a rock song.  I think Purple Haze is the perfect music for the time
period it was written in.

Feeling rather mellow at the moment, I'd like to say my final words on
Vivaldi.  Regardless of personal preferences, nobody's music can survive
300 years without possessing timeless qualities, and those are the
qualities that most satisfy.

Don Satz