From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:11:37 -0700
Felix Delbruck wrote:

>I've recently started to get into Bach on the harpsichord - Landowska of
>course, but I've also listened to a disc of miscellaneous works played by
>Gustav Leonhardt some of which I enjoyed very much. There are a great many
>other names out there, and I'd be grateful for some suggestions (with
>reasons).

Try Kenneth Gilbert's interpretations.  HArmonia Mundi and Archiv are 2
of his labels, I believe.  I have never been disappointed with his lively,
clear Bach performances.  I am also a fan of Igor Kipnis although I have
heard many people complain about him.  I think his playing is great and, in
cases of elaboration or heavy ornamentation, he really does well.  I think
you can find him on Sony Classical and others I'm sure.  You are right,
though, there are SOOO many names out there.  Colin Tilney is another name
I hear good things about with his recording of the Well Tempered Clavier
(both books) on the Hyperion label.  I have not heard it myself, though.
As far as the inventions as sinfonias are concerned I heard a lovely
performance by Ton Koopman.  I'm sorry but I don't recall the label with
the recording I heard.

-Wes Crone