From:
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:38:47 -0500
"Rick Mabry" wrote:

>John Rosenthal wrote in an article in the New York Times Magazine:
>
>> "When an album sells a half-million copies, the Recording Industry
>> Association of America calls it a Gold Record. But these days,
>> the framed award that hangs on the producer's wall is a gold-tinted
>> CD, not the gold- painted LP of years past"
>
>Well sure, the CD is smaller and cheaper.

Just a few days ago, I made a point about a certain subject on
another web site on which I am a correspondent.  The moderator, a very
technologically savvy guy, wanting to make the point that I was repeating
myself, accused me of sounding like a "broken record".  I called him on
this "antiquated" phrase, and said using that terminology was like saying
"film at eleven"..."don't touch that dial"...or "fill 'er up with ethyl".
One dictionary-maker recently removed the word "record changer" from its
tome.  Pretty soon "film developing" kiosks will be a figure of speech
as p uzzling to tomorrow's young people as collar stays and coal shutes
are to us.

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, Mass.