From:
Peter Harzem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 16:16:28 -0600
The thread that continued under the subject 'Goodall's twilight' moved
far from that topic to the subject I try to summarize above.  I followed
it with special attention, because I think it well represents not only
our attitudes to music and especially to concert-going, but much of our
attitudes in our times towards-one may say with no little optimism-the
behavior of civilized individuals.

First, a few quite evident points: The 'normal' (customary) behavior of
the audience does, of course, depend on the kind of concert in question.
At jazz concerts it is common practice to applaud during the piece, almost
at every instrumentalist as the music proceeds.  Indeed, at such concerts
the audience is in effect a part of the performance, by creating the
appropriate atmosphere.  At performances of religious music, including
explicit concerts as distinct from 'services', often there is no applause
at all--neither during nor at the end of the piece being performed.  There
are also differences in behavior at concerts of the same kind of music
depending on the period of history.  Earlier behavior at one period or in
one context, although interesting to study, does not entail the assertion
that we should do so now.

Through the past century up to the present, in classical music concerts
(chamber, orchestral, etc.) the custom has been established for members
of the audience to be as little intrusive to others in the audience as
possible.  Incidental noise during the performance is liable to take one
out of the mood one may be enjoying, and such will certainly intrude into
the private world of one.  The performance, as I wrote previously, includes
the intervals between movements.  Those intervals provide for moments of
reflection, and perhaps, preparation for what is to follow.  I for one--and
it seems I am not alone--am deeply grateful to those sitting around me in
a concert hall who are courteous enough to be as quiet as they can be
during performances.  The person who is noisy on the grounds that he/she
paid for it is simply rude, insensitive to the feelings of others.  Such
acts, amongst others, characterize uncivilized behavior.

I note, moreover, a tendency in this exchanges to exaggerate what
the writer disagreed with.  For example it was claimed that I had 'taken to
task' someone about this subject: far from the truth.  Anyone who cares to
do so can look up the archives and will see that I simply expressed--mildly
I thought--a personal view.  The same individual described the atmosphere
of concerts as 'sanctimonious' etc.  Unnecessarily offensive, I think, to
those who merely seek noises not to intrude into their enjoyment of music.
Debate by insults is, I sadly note, becoming rather more common than one
may wish and I, for one, deplore that.

It seems to me that paying for admission to any group meeting, be it
concert, play, poetry-reading entails a contract: Paying is one part
of the undertaking, the other part is the commitment to act in reasonable
accord with the established practices and expectancies of the
group/audience; in return the other party to the contract undertakes to
provide what was offered.

By the way, at opera performances, choral concerts, etc.  occasionally I
feel like humming with the singer(s).  It never occurred to me to feel free
to do so because I had paid for admission.

I note that I mentioned no names here.  I am well aware, however, judging
by the presedent in this discussion, that I made be in for some rudeness.
If that happens I shall regret it, and do the best in the circumstance and
ignore it.  Peter Harzem

Peter Harzem <[log in to unmask]>