From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:57:25 PDT
Robert Clements referred to Arte Nova as a "non-starter" compared to Naxos
based on the superior Naxos distribution system.  Where I live, the full
force of this distribution system does not exist.  Naxos is found in record
stores, nowhere else.

If I go into a decent record store, I'll see both Arte Nova and Naxos
products.  They cost about the same, and the quality of performances and
recorded sound is comparable.  And, Arte Nova has the better cover art.
Arte Nova is competitive with Naxos and gets my consideration as strongly.

Of course, Arte Nova is just one part of the huge BMG corporation.  It has
not been pushed as urgently as Naxos is pushed, but there has been decent
marketing.  It can get much better, and I hope it does.  What makes Naxos
special is its business operations.  If BMG ever decides to get with the
program, Naxos will see its market share go down greatly.  And that's good
for buyers - "choice".

Don Satz