From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:15:10 PST
John Polifronio wrote:

>Until I heard others play Bach at the piano, I was content to enjoy,
>and I certainly profoundly did enjoy, Gould's aggressive, machine
>like accuracy and stylistic detachment.  I now, and for many years,
>hear subtleties, nuances, insights in the Bach playing from other
>pianists, that I often don't find when I revisit Gould's Bach.

Sure, and that's the way it should be.  One pianist can't possibly deliver
everything of Bach that's in his music.  Some of what Gould offers is not
available from any other pianist - the same goes for Hewitt, Schepkin,
Tureck, etc.  Gould only offers minimal subtlety, but I feel he provides
many insights.  These are most prevalent in his WTC and Goldberg Variations
recordings.

It seems that John is keying on what he doesn't like in Gould's
Bach performances.  I listen to Gould's Bach when I want the type of
interpretation he provides, when I'm hungry for some precision, breakneck
speeds, forward momentum, and a whole lot of great artistry.

Don Satz