From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:09:42 -0700
David Stewart wrote:

>It also sounded just a touch flat.  Are they period instruments/slightly
>flat modern instruments played badly/what?

I don't know which instruments were used in the recording Dave.  If,
however they were period instruments, it is a distinct possibility they
were tuned to an old system which would have A=415 rather than A=440.
Early music was performed at a lower pitch than today's music.  The only
real exception lies in the music of the English Baroque which was tuned to
AF6 which is higher, of course, than our tuning today.  Anyway, probably
wasn't much help but I was just trying to give one possible explanation for
the low pitch.

Wes Crone