From:
David Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:56:52 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>Listening to a few versions of the Requiem, I'm still convinced that
>Mozart's Great Mass is the better work.

I think I agree.  It is more balanced: you have the power of the Kyrie
with the lightness of the Laudamus te and the exhiliration of the Credo.
The problem (for me) (but the asset to others) is that the Requiem is a
constant stream of hard-hitting music.  Appreciating balance is one of the
more difficult aspects of CM.  The clarinet concerto is the obvious example
as far as I am concerned.  I used to like only the first movement, and when
I 'got' the other two it became more than the sum of its parts.

David Stewart