From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:40:47 PST
Here are three new releases that have caught my attention:

Kurt Atterberg's Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto on Sterling 1034.
I'm not familir with Atterberg's music; any opinions?

Bach's St. John Passion on the Eclectra label (ECCD-2044) performed by
the Cleveland Baroque Orchestra and conducted by Jeannette Sorrell.  This
performance is sung in English; period instruments and the English language
could be interesting.

Beethoven's string quartets opus 59/3 and opus 132 from the Carmina Quartet
on Denon.  This group has reaped much attention in recent years, and this
will be their first Beethoven recording.  Unfortunately, the release date
is not until August; one must be patient out of neccessity (I hate having
to be patient, being a patient - a good word to dump from the inventory).
Patience is only a virtue for those who are masochistic or slow, my wife
being the exception since I need her to be very patient with me.

As an aside, Hanssler continues to churn out individual Bach releases,
and matters of interpretation to one side, I think the cover art and
coordination of colors is very attractive.  The cover to Hill's Art of
Fugue and Hanssler's Cello suites set are particularly handsome.  I don't
remember the performer for the Cello Suites; are the performances good
ones? That green cover keeps speaking to me.

Don Satz