From:
Nicolas Croze-Orton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 02:34:34 EDT
A few years ago I played has an encore during a string quartet performance,
a very short (2 or 3 minutes) quartet allegretto by Shostakovitch.  It was
in his usual playfull bafoonesque Alegretto style.  It is not, I repeat,
NOT a movement in his string quartet cycle, maybe it was an arrangement of
a piano piece I don`t know about, which is unusual because I know quite a
bit of his repertoire.  I do not remember the key, only that it was almost
completely played for the good part of it with the cello, second violin,
and viola in pizzicato.  It is something that our first violinist picked up
last minute, it was very easy and didn`t need much rehearsal time, thus we
added it to our repertoire of encore`s.  There is unfortunatly no longer a
way for me to reach the first violinist I once knew so I must rely on
you....  Any suggestions? Please help...

Nicolas.