From:
Peter Herwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 20:45:51 +0000
Don Satz writes:

>From my perspective, the second Herreweghe is the second most rewarding
>St. Matthew Passion on record. What's first? Herreweghe's first
>recording, also on Harmonia Mundi. It has a raw quality that I love and
>isn't found on the second. However, I have to admit that the vocalists
>are more effective in the second one.

Well Don, I just finished listening the the second Herreweghe and am
simply floored.  I think it's fantastic and definitely agree that the
singers are better especially Bostridge and Scholl.  But I agree on the
merits of the first Herreweghe and wouldn't want to be without that one
either.  It will take some time familiarizing myself with both versions
for me to make a judgement.  As for now I am very happy that I have a
great new Matthew in my collection.  All the best,

Peter Herwitz