From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:22:57 -0400
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I recently gave the Bruckner 9th a good listen (by good, I mean that I
>was relaxed, and paid attention to the whole symphony from beginning to
>end) and one of my impressions was that the piece sounds quite complete
>with the three movements.  I'm assuming that Bruckner sketched a finale,
>since there are performing versions of it, but I wonder if at some level
>Bruckner intended the symphony to be only three movements.

I happen to agree with your assessment.  I have all recorded re-
constructed Finales and none of them do much for me.  Having said that,
however, there is no question that Bruckner intended the 9th to be a
four-movement work with a magnificent summation at the end.  This is
all well documented and the extent of the sketches prove it beyond any
doubt.  We also know that he dedicated the symphony to his "dear God"
and that he prayed every day that he should live long enough to complete
it.

>I used to think that the Adagio rambled on aimlessly.  Now, after having
>just listened to it, I think it's a masterpiece, and one of the most
>perfect pieces Bruckner wrote.

The performance has a lot to do with it.  In a good performance I always
get this sensation of demons being exorcized (not that I have much
experience in this subject) after the huge climax in the Adagio and of
deep catharsis at the end of the movement when the brass holds those
long sustained notes that dissipate into nothingness.  Giulini/VPO is
incomparable here.

Ramon Khalona