From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:35:51 GMT
Pablo Massa writes:

>When we listen to bad tonal music we may feel bored or disappointed.
>However, that music speaks in a language familiar to us, and then,
>there's no reason for alarm: we "understand" it.

I can't consider the above the universal response to bad tonal music.
When I hear what I consider to be bad tonal music, I get thoroughly irked
at being assaulted by musical junk.  The same applies to bad atonal music.
For me, bad music elicts anger no matter what type it is.  I think the
"familiar music" theme is a red herring (at least for me).

Don Satz