From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 21:50:32 -0000
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> quoted me:

>>I've often wondered whether his teachers wring their hands wondering where
>>they've gone wrong, since he has chosen to develop a style that people
>>actually want to hear.

And went on to say:

>I have not heard Jarvlepp's music, so don't take this the wrong way, but:
>which "people" are those? Are those who like serial music by definition not
>people? Insincere? Aliens from Neptune? Are the lovers of tonality just the
>plain, wholesome, ordinary folks you meet in the supermarket checkout line,
>or are they too busy listening to Garth Brooks.

No, you're putting words in my mouth, but let me admit anyway that I
intended that comment flippantly.  And all I meant was that, while Jarvlepp
writes music that is unmistakably his, and different enough to alienate
very conservative listeners, he does attempt to meet open-minded visitors
half way.  As a result he's fairly popular with most of those who
experience his music.  You might want to check out his Garbage Concerto
on BIS.

My original point, though, was just that Jarvlepp's opinions, whether you
or I agree with them, are not those of someone speaking from ignorance or
blunt prejudice.

Richard, who invites you to visit his classical music site at
http://opuspocus.ca