From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:02:19 -0700
Cao Yirong wrote:

>How about Rattle's Mahler symphony 3? I puzzled about the difference
>between it and Walter

You would puzzle for a very long time because Walter never recorded the
Mahler Third.

If you are looking for a modern version of Mahler's Third, superbly
recorded and played with a care for detail that takes you deep into the
complexities of this remarkable work, look no further than Rattle.  Beware,
though, of the oboe solo in the fourth movement where Rattle takes Mahler's
marking "hinaufziehen" literally.  I have never heard an oboist play
his/her contribution in this movement like this.  A friend who was at
one of the live performances prior to the recording described the sound
produced as "an extraordinary upwards glissando".  It sounds to me like a
Tom cat on a wall mewing for a mate on a warm Summer's night.  Also Rattle
presses forwards in the closing pages of the last movement, robbing the
music of some of its grandeur.

If you don't necessarily want a very modern version then Horenstein,
Kubelik, Bernstein (Sony) are to be preferred.

A pity this wasn't done "live".  The broadcast of the live performance was
even better.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.